Friday, September 14, 2012

States of Mind

Ch. 6

"One goal of Cognitive Coaching is to develop each individual's capability to accept and then work to realize that he or she is simultaneously a whole and a part" (p. 123). A whole and a part? As a teacher we need to realize that not only that we need to be our whole-selves, someone who continually strives for the betterment of his/herself, and someone who is, in a sense, a team player. This team player works within a community and needs to be a part of this community so that the community can be a success.

There are five states of mind that are important within Cognitive Coaching and they are: efficacy, flexibility, craftsmanship, consciousness and interdependence. I feel as though there are definite areas that I am successful in already and some that I have room to grow in.

First, as I read through the characteristics of efficacy I was able to identify with them. Someone who has efficacy either teaches math or middle school kids, is organized, changes over time, self-assesses, achieves professional development, modifies instruction, creates learning communities, optimistic, less stressed, perseveres through difficulty, high achiever, self-actualizing and self-modifying. Although I am not all of these things, many of these characteristics are ones that I would like to think describe me.

Second, and lastly, I need to improve on my flexibility. Someone who is flexible is able to view situations from different perspectives, change, adapt and expand. As I transition into a new teaching position this year, I struggle with the schedule with the junior high school. I am not longer able to run my day for myself and for my students. I now have to work with other teachers to maintain the switching of classes and not to mention my principal also will through in a couple of curve balls in there to keep things exciting. I need to work on being flexible and rolling with the punches. If I am able to be more flexible here then this will only transfer over to make me a better coach.

No comments:

Post a Comment