Sunday, November 25, 2012

Ch 8 & 9

“To get the most from their relationship, a mentor and a mentee need to plan together to determine goals that they will work toward. They should be realistic about the time they have and explicit about the things they want to work on." p. 124 

After having a dialogue with my mentee and planning an action plan, I realized how important it is for me to take the time to discuss what she has on her mind in regards to teaching. Even just from the short conversation we had, she expressed how excited she was that we were doing this and how she thinks it will help her so much to become a better teacher. I could see the sense of relief on her face after the meeting because she feels understood and excited for new improvements.

“There are times when mentors may not be sure of what they are accomplishing or whether their long hours and exhausting efforts are bearing results.”  p. 154

I already can relate to this because being a teacher can sometimes feel like this. I can relate to this also because I am already feeling a little overwhelmed by the level of commitments we planned out for the rest of the year. There are a lot of meetings to be had and a lot of lessons to be observed outside of my normal teaching responsibilities. I know that I will work hard, but I also know that by doing all of this will provide a much better year for my mentee and she will not have to go through what I had to go through my first year of teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment